Chlorella belongs to the family of single-cell algae which make up colonies in both sweet and salty bodies of water. The powdered form of Chlorella is well-known for its nutritional and detoxifying effects on the body. It is a rich source of amino acids, fats, highly absorbable vitamins (A, E, B1, B2, B5, B6, B12, PP, K, H, C), folic acid, xantophyll, inositol and various micro-elements- calcium, potassium, magnesium, iron, and zinc. It has a positive effect on the immune system, prevents arteriosclerosis, is a diuretic and promotes regeneration and detoxification of the body.1
Chlorella is especially valued by vegetarians and vegans due to it being rich in various important nutrients, including vitamin B12 – in contrac to its relative Spirulina, which contains an inactive biological analog (7-cyano adenylate kobamide) known as pseudo vitamin B12.6
Chlorella promotes tissue regeneration and detoxification processes of the body, including the cleanse from heavy metals- such as mercury.
Chlorella helps in the treatment of anemia, increases iron levels and improves blood parameters.
The ingredients of Chlorella provide a lot of very important minerals and elements in an easily assimilable form.
Chlorella has an antioxidant effect, reduces inflammations in the hippocampus and reduces the cognitive deficits in the elderly. It also lowers the levels of bad cholesterol, thanks to which it has an antiatherogenic effect. Chlorella also promotes lower blood pressure, although this effect is subtle.4
Chlorella increases the activity of the immune system, increases the production of immunoglobulin A and protects against upper respiratory tract infections.
Studies on pregnant women (12-18 week), a positive effect on blood parameters as well as reduced swelling in the feet was noted.
People suffering from fibromyalgia taking 10g of Chlorella powder daily for two months experienced a significant improvement and a reduction of pain.2
6g daily. Some studies used higher doses (up to 9-10g daily).
Chlorella is regarded as safe and generally well tolerated in humans. It may cause diarrhea in larger doses.
1. Kittaka-Katsura, H., Fujita, T., Watanabe, F., & Nakano, Y. (2002). Purification and characterization of a corrinoid compound from Chlorella tablets as an algal health food. Journal of agricultural and food chemistry, 50(17), 4994-7.
2. Merchant, R. E., & Andre, C. A. (2001). A review of recent clinical trials of the nutritional supplement Chlorella pyrenoidosa in the treatment of fibromyalgia, hypertension, and ulcerative colitis. Altern.Ther Health Med., 7(3), 79-91.
3. Mišurcová, L., Buňka, F., Vávra Ambrožová, J., Machů, L., Samek, D., & Kráčmar, S. (2014). Amino acid composition of algal products and its contribution to RDI. Food Chemistry, 151, 120-125.
4. Nakashima, Y., Ohsawa, I., Konishi, F., Hasegawa, T., Kumamoto, S., Suzuki, Y., & Ohta, S. (2009). Preventive effects of Chlorella on cognitive decline in age-dependent dementia model mice. Neuroscience letters, 464(3), 193-8.
5. Northcote, D. H., Goulding, K. J., & Horne, R. W. (1958). The Chemical Composition and Structure of the Cell Wall of Chlorella pyrenoidosa. The Biochemical Journal, 70(1953), 391-7
6. Watanabe, F., Takenaka, S., Kittaka-Katsura, H., Ebara, S., & Miyamoto, E. (2002). Characterization and bioavailability of vitamin B12-compounds from edible algae. Journal of nutritional science and vitaminology, 48(5), 325-331.
7. Watanabe, F. (2007). Vitamin B12 sources and bioavailability. Experimental biology and medicine (Maywood, N.J.), 232(10), 1266-1274.
No customer comments for the moment.
NO registration required!
If the question you have has not yet been answered here, use the form below to ask something about this addon.
Our website contains objective and reliable information based on current scientific publications. We care about maintaining a high level of quality standards in the articles we publish by keeping our site up-to-date and making sure the information we place on it is clear and transparent. The authors of the website content are scientists from UJ, a neuropsychologist and a chemist.
At Allchemy.eu, professionalism is of our utmost interest. Our team consists of a neuropsychologist, a pharmacist, a chemist, a psychologist, and a physicist. We don't just “do business.” This is our passion and we test all available chemical agents on ourselves, selecting the most interesting ones while discarding those that we deem dangerous or harmful.
Do you value time and comfort? We ship our packages through DPD courier, Polish Post Office, and Inpost post boxes- every day! Orders made before 10 AM are shipped on the same day!
We care about your satisfaction. That is why you can always return an originally sealed product within 30 days of purchase, no reason necessary.